|New OIL CMD Utpal Bora|
UTPAL Bora on July 18 took over as the Chairman and Managing Director of Oil India, the country's second-biggest state-owned oil and gas explorer.
Here are 10 things...about the technocrat who will be at the helm of the PSU Navaratna oil company.
1. Utpal Bora, who was Executive Director at Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) before this appointment, is the first full-time Chairman of OIL in more than a year.
2. He was selected for the top post by a search-cum-selection committee headed by Cabinet Secretary P K Sinha after three failed attempts to find a suitable person by the government headhunter, the Public Enterprise Selection Board (PESB).
3. “Bora has a rich and varied experience of over 33 years in the exploration and production (E&P) sector. He served in various capacities at ONGC, including ONGC Videsh Ltd, the international branch of ONGC," an ONGC statement said. He was selected from among more than half a dozen candidates interviewed by the panel.
4. OIL will be the second large public sector unit to have its head selected through a search committee. In February, Gurdeep Singh, MD of Gujarat State Electricity Corporation, was appointed CMD of NTPC, the nation's largest power producer.
5. After the announcement was made about his appointment, Bora said, “It is an honour and privilege to get selected for such a coveted post. I am grateful to Government of India for bestowing its trust upon me and I would dedicate all my endeavours, thoughts and spirits to ensure the energy security of our country. I acknowledge with sincere gratitude the support of ONGC Management, without whom this was not possible.”
6. Bora took over as Asset Manager, Mehsana on October 1, 2014 and leading from the front he turned around the highest producing onshore asset and steered the asset to its new high. Mehsana asset, under his leadership received the Best Onshore Award of ONGC last year
7. Before joining ONGC Mehsana, Bora was with OVL, overseeing function in Venezuela as Technical and Operational Manager and thereafter in OVL Delhi.
8.He was associated with activities related to artificial lift, well completion, testing, well control, reservoir management, crude transportation/quality assurance for refinery receipt, workover operations of onshore and offshore fields, planning, technical cell etc
9. A Bachelor of Technology in Petroleum Engineering (ISM, Dhanbad), Bora also received Advanced Management Certificate from IIM, Lucknow and completed Leadership Development Programme from ISB, Hyderabad.
10. Reading is his passionate hobby and Bora is a big fan of cricket and whenever he has some free time this movie buff goes for movies. He is blessed with a daughter (settled in Australia) and a son (employed at Accenture).