OUTLINING some interesting facts about the health of PSUs, the Economic Survey presented in Lok Sabha said the contribution of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) to the exchequer decreased by nearly Rs. 20,400 crore to Rs. 2,00,584 crore in 2014-15.
ONGC, Coal India, NTPC, National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) and Power Finance Corporation were...the top five profit-making CPSEs during 2014-15.
On the other hand, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd, Air India, Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd, Hindustan Photo Films Manufacturing Company and Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals were the top five loss-making CPSEs.
The CPSEs had contributed Rs. 2,20,981 crore to the central exchequer in 2013-14.
"This was mainly on account of a decrease in their contribution to dividend, corporate tax and custom duty in 2014-15," as per the 2015-16 Economic Survey tabled by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in Parliament.
CPSEs contribute to the central exchequer by way of dividend payment, interest on government loans and payment of taxes and duties.
But there was a positive development too. There was an increase in the CPSEs contribution to excise duty, dividend tax, sales tax and service tax.
The net profit of profit making (157) CPSEs stood at Rs. 1,30,363 crore in 2014-15, whereas net loss of loss-making (77) CPSEs stood at Rs. 27,360 crore. Out of 298 CPSEs under the administrative control of various ministries/departments, 235 were in operation and 63 were under construction up to December 2015.
Performance of CPSES
The Public Enterprises Survey (2014-15), brought out by the Department of Public Enterprises, Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises, Government of India on the performance of Central Public Sector Enterprises was placed in both the Houses of Parliament. There were 298 CPSEs in 2014-15, out of which 235 were in operation. Rest (63) of the CPSEs were under construction.
Here are some of the key highlights of the performance of CPSEs, during 2014-15
1. Overall net profit of 235 CPSEs Rs.1,03,003 crore in 2014-15 as against Rs.1,28,295 crore in 2013-14 (of 234 CPSEs)
2. 157 CPSEs posted net profit of Rs.1,30,363 crore in 2014-15 as against 164 CPSEs posting net profit of Rs.1,49,636 crore in 2013-14
3. 77 CPSEs incurred net loss of Rs.27,360 crore in 2014-15 as against 70 CPSEs incurring net loss of Rs.21,341 crore in 2013-14
4. Total investment in 298 CPSEs stood at Rs. 10,96,057 crore in 2014-15 compared to Rs. 9,92,096 crore in 2013-14 (290 CPSEs)
5. Dividend paid by CPSEs during 2014-15 is Rs. 56,527 crore as against Rs. 65,115 crore (in 2013-14)
6. Total paid up capital in 298 CPSEs as on 31.3.2015 stood at Rs. 2,13,020 crore compared to Rs. 1,98,722 crore as on 31.3. 2014 (290 CPSEs), showing a growth of 7.19%.
7. Total investment (equity plus long term loans) in all CPSEs stood at Rs. 10,96,057 crore as on 31.3.2015 compared to Rs. 9,92,096 crore as on 31.3.2014, recording a growth of 10.48%.
8. Capital Employed (Paid up capital plus reserve & surplus and long term loans) in all CPSEs stood at Rs. 18,67,730 crore on 31.3.2015 compared to Rs. 17, 39,090 crore as on 31.3.2014 showing a growth of 7.40 %.
9. Total turnover/gross revenue from operation of all CPSEs during 2014-15 stood at Rs 19, 95,902 crore compared to Rs. 20, 66,057 crore in the previous year showing a reduction in turnover of 3.40 %.
10. Total income of all CPSEs during 2014-15 stood at Rs. 19, 65,254 crore compared to Rs. 20, 56,336 crore in 2013-14, showing a reduction in income of 4.43%.
11. Profit of profit making CPSEs stood at Rs. 1, 30,363 crore during 2014-15 compared to Rs 1,49,636 crore in 2013-14 showing a decline in profit of 12.88%.
12. Loss of loss incurring CPSEs stood at Rs.27, 360 crore in 2014-15 compared to Rs 21, 341 crore in 2013-14 showing a increase in loss by 28.20 %.
13. Overall net profit of all 235 CPSEs during 2014-15 stood at Rs 1,03,003 crore compared to Rs 1,28,295 crore during 2013-14 showing a decrease in overall profit of 19.71%.
14. Reserves & Surplus of all CPSEs went up from Rs. 7, 46,994 crore in 2013-14 to Rs 7, 71,672 cores in 2014-15, showing an increase by 3.30 %.
15. Net worth of all CPSEs went up from Rs 9,45,717 crore in 2013-14 to Rs 9,84,692 crore in 2014-15 registering a growth of 4.12 %.
16. Contribution of CPSEs to Central Exchequer by way of excise duty, customs duty, corporate tax, interest on Central Government loans, dividend and other duties and taxes increased from Rs 2,20,982 crore in 2013-14 to Rs 2,00,585 crore in 2014-15, showing a decline of 9.23%.
17. CPSEs employed 12.91 lakh people (excluding contractual workers) in 2014-15 compared to 13.49 lakh in 2013-14, showing a reduction in employees by 4.30%.
14. Salary and wages went up in all CPSEs from Rs.1,22,322 crore in 2013-14 to Rs 1,27,387 crore in 2014-15 showing a growth of 4.14 %.
18. Total Market Capitalization 45 CPSEs traded on stock exchanges of India as on 31.03.2015.